03 April, 2016

Critical Thought (1/30)

This isn't just for University Graduates. This is for you, your friends and your family.

Nowadays, I tend to critically think naturally and far too often. It has made for a pleasant life but not an overly exciting one. However, as a teenager and in my twenties I didn't critically think and my life was far too exciting. Today, I am happier.

I believe that we do need to critically think to ensure our choices, over time, allow us to lead the life we want to live.

Day to day, most people do not think critically. Choices are made, options are taken and opinions are asked for. This is good, it means you get on well with people and you are getting on with enjoying your life. Critical thinking means pausing for thought. It means listening closely to yourself. It means seeking out information that isn't just given to you. It basically means, taking control of your own choices.

Perhaps a small example will help. Recently, a colleague showed me his new watch. I looked at my watch and liked his better. I could have just bought a new watch, one I liked as much as his. In actual fact, that is what I did. However, I did spend / invest a considerable amount of time acquiring a new watch. Actually, I bought two. Critical thinking allowed me to buy the right watch(es) for me.

So, I wanted a nice watch. The idea is to buy a watch, the right watch, that will serve me for many years. Such that I get full value for the time I spent earning the money to buy the watch. Not have a watch buying competition where I keep buying a slightly more expensive watch every time I can afford one.

So, I thought about a Rolex. Surely, the most famous watch brand in the world. Nobody can beat a Rolex? Actually, lots of companies produce more expensive watches than Rolex. Mostly ones I can't pronounce or even spell correctly. So, buying a Rolex does not guarantee a colleague won't top it. Critically thinking about what I wanted saved me several thousand pounds. I thought I wanted a watch that everyone would envy. Critical thinking made me realise that I wanted a nice watch. A watch that I thought was nice. A watch that I could wear that meant something to me. Other people's opinions are welcomed but they wouldn't be able to detract anything from the pleasure wearing it gave me.

I now am quite knowledgeable about watches. I know why I wear the watch currently on my wrist, it wasn't about money and prestige but it was about what I actually wanted rather than what I thought I wanted. Critically thinking has allowed me to spend my money and time to its best advantage.

Without critical thought I may have bought a fake Rolex. Very quickly realised that was a mistake and then bought something else. Within weeks scratched the glass, replaced the glass, scratched it again, then found out about sapphire crystal and bought another watch. And so on until I never wore a watch again or I had an actual real problem and wish I hadn't wasted so much money on watches.

That is basically what critical thinking is. You become an expert in yourself. You become very knowledgeable in the things that interest you. You invest your money and time more wisely. Leaving you more money and time to spend doing whatever you choose to.

Hopefully, you know that you make lots of poor decisions or that you would like to make great decisions more often. A reasonable excuse is that you haven't sufficient time or money and that you have no control over the future. You are quite correct.

Over time, critical thinking, will give you more time, more money and more control over your future.

Critical thinking helps with any decision, large or small. It helps you do your job. It helps save you money. However, it isn't easy. It is time consuming. The pay offs do accumulate over time, leading towards the life you want rather than the one you keep living.

22 comments:

Peter DiMarco said...

Excellent food for thought ... I agree we all need to hone our critical thinking skills and stop making our purchases based on trying to impress other people. Purchasing a watch, or a car, or a home, with an eye towards impressing your family, your friends, or anyone else for that matter, can only lead to utter disappointment, frustration, and regret, because ultimately there will always be something better, or just more impressive to someone else. Like you said, we need to become an expert in ourselves, and what interests us.

Yes, we can acknowledge what interests others, and even share in their enthusiasm, but for yourself, all that really matters is what impresses you.

So let me ask this ... in your opinion, besides purchases, what other areas of life could you see critical thinking being a beneficial tool?

David Watkinson said...

That is a particularly insightful question.

I kept finding myself in relationships with the wrong woman. I critically thought about why. Then I met the right woman for me. Six years later, she is still with me and still the right woman for me.

In future posts, I will be covering topics where critical thinking ought to be applied by all those capable of it.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Anonymous said...

So readers, how can I help you?
I would have thought more examples?
Perhaps, a brief write up of my recent watch buying saga?
Perhaps you have a question?

Is the above not a, not so brief write up of your watch buying saga. I may have not been to university so maybe I just do not understand your higher thinking.

Anonymous said...

not sure if you have critically thought about this blog enough....

Anonymous said...

I have a fake watch made by the same company I would associate your blog with.
It says BOLEX on the face of it!

Anonymous said...

A watch is for the critical thinking working class. What time to go to bed, what time to wake up. What time is my break etc etc. Just waiting for the weekend.
Then the watch for the critical thinking wealthy,which becomes just a fashion statement. Time then is relevant to any critical thinking..

David Watkinson said...

Excellent comment, I am now pondering exactly why I want a Tudor watch, thanks.

Unknown said...

Waiting for you're next blog David..

David Watkinson said...

Thanks John. Next weeks may include an incident I had with four police officers on the way in to work. Just drafting it now. Should be available Thursday night. I might have to spend Friday explaining how I managed not to be late for work! I like a challenge.

David Watkinson said...

No, I never even mentioned eta 2824 movements or seiko spring drives or how Rolex make tudor brand watches. Or much at all really. People have actually written entire books about watches. It is a vast subject you appear to know very little about. There is really no need to inform me about your lack of university education but thanks anyway. You take care.

Unknown said...

Sorry I've replied 4 times, 18" stone brick walls slows the Internet. Don't know if I'm coming or going with it.. David you're top blogger. Plus a engineer in the making...

David Watkinson said...

Please keep reading my blogs for an insight on how to make good purchasing decisions. A fake watch with Bolex on its face sounds like a waste of time. Unfortunately for you, I know associate a fake watch with Bolex on its face with you. Sorry about that. Perhaps you might rethink whether or not you need guidance on critically thinking? I suggest that you do.

David Watkinson said...

I will attempt to delete the 'extras'.

David Watkinson said...

Thanks for your concern. I have actually sketched out six months worth of articles at one a week. Consider this post as just queuing for the rollercoaster ride. You are judging the ride far too soon.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

wrong woman? I critically thought you were gay?

David Watkinson said...

The gay question. Thanks for reading the blog. I am really pleased that you have been practicing critically thinking. As I say, practicing on trivial questions is beneficial. In order to encourage you, perhaps you can read my other and future blogs and point out any phrases that you believe strengthen your view. If you are able, perhaps find other phrases which clearly define my ungayness, should you find any. I look forward to reading any future comments you may have.

Other trivial things about me you could critically think about are- skin colour, ethnicity, country of birth, am I unemployed, have I tried to be gay but it made my eyes water, am I a beef cake stud muffin, or a squeaky little boy, am I rich, am I mentally unbalanced, or whatever. Your choice. You take care.

Anonymous said...

I like your blog. I had the most beautiful watch in the world. It was a $20 watch from Zayres. I had it for 21 yrs then I lost it. I have never replaced it because I can't find one I love as much. As far as critical thinking skills, sometimes I find that the people around me seem to lacking in that area.

David Watkinson said...

Thanks for commenting, barely anybody does. I own the most beautiful motorcycle in the world. I am pleased you owned the most beautiful watch in the world, so sorry you lost it. So few things give us that much pleasure, which is exactly the opposite of what the world should be.
You take care.

David Watkinson said...

I now own the most beautiful watch in the world. Within a minute of seeing it I bought it.Thank you. It was around $100. About $4,000 less than I was expecting to pay. Thanks for destroying the idea that beauty is expensive. The Swiss watch industry won't be sending you a Christmas card, or me.

David Quinn said...

I bought a fake Rolex after critical thinking. I wanted to know what it would be like to wear a watch that looked and felt like a Rolex, for about $150. It lasted long enough for me to get a taste of it.

My fake Rolex even had a mechanical movement. I didn't want the easy giveaway of a second hand that jumps every second, which for some reason is still how the battery powered ones do it even when they are pretending to be mechanical. I learned about mechanical movements from this. Rolex makes their own, but most other luxury brands like Omega buy a standard movement. There's one company that makes them for the whole industry. Even the fancy mechanical movement for 3-dial watches with the stopwatch goes for about $50. So I got a fake Rolex with the 3 dials.

The watch failed because the numbers came unglued from the face, because of course it's a cheaply made fake, but the movement is still fine.

David Watkinson said...

Hi David. Thanks for taking the time to comment and give an excellent example of Critical Thinking.

You have nudged me closer to making a decision about the movement in my latest watch. I will give the matter some thought. Thanks.

You are undoubtedly aware that Rolex produce another watch brand with a non Rolex movement? (Tudor)

However, a Rolex is a Rolex. If that is the watch for you, then that is the watch for you. Let me know when you own the most beautiful watch in the world. You deserve it, as do we all.