02 October, 2021

Reality

 Most believe that reality is fixed and never give it another thought. Perhaps we ought to give it a few moments of critical thought.

I work with ‘big characters’ and as such our collective work reality is created by these ‘big characters’. After talking with each of these ‘big characters’, you would form your own opinion of our work reality. You would also notice that each of these ‘big characters’ views our collective work reality differently. Therefore, even this small example should be sufficient to give you a moments pause, to think about your reality. In an ever changing set of circumstances and events also known as life, reality is not fixed and is subject to opinion.

Each of my ‘big character’ colleagues have their own version of our collective work reality. Should you develop your own personal awareness, awareness of others and an awareness of reality, then you can develop a greater awareness of your own realities.

For example. My ‘big character’ colleagues have all decided that if I work harder, then their own work lives would be a little easier. This has created a work reality where it is collectively believed that I don’t work hard and I am also unhelpful.

It has been a difficult situation for me and this ‘reality’ of my ‘lazy unhelpfulness’ seems impossible to resolve but is it? I suppose that it is just a reputation but still, it is also our work reality.

I have had the following thought, if perceived reality and reality are closely matched then all is well. However, what if the widely held belief of my work reality is not closely matched to reality then much energy is wasted maintaining the false reality as actual reality.

More importantly, reality will impose itself every time the false reality falters. The ‘big characters’ will ignore all these impositions of reality because they don’t match up with what they believe reality to be. They will collectively explain them away and back up each others collective beliefs.

Can anything be done?

Aligning yourself with reality requires no energy, whereas the mental gymnastics required to believe unbelievable things is vast. In time, my ‘big character’ colleagues will become increasingly stressed and unflinchingly believe unbelievable things. It will become increasingly obvious for any outside observer to notice that the ‘big characters’ are behaving increasingly ‘odd’.

Basically, the further away from reality my ‘big character’ colleagues drift, the more anxious they become, the more stressed and the more bloody minded that they are correct.

The more I ground myself in actual reality, the more content I become. The further away from reality my ‘big character’ colleagues travel, the more they throw themselves under the bus.

My ‘big character’ colleagues are throwing themselves under the bus with alarming regularity. I have done nothing and I need do nothing.

Can anything be done?

I need do nothing. They will eat themselves. All I need to do is not be dragged into their collective false reality and that has taken me a year to understand.

That small example readily scales up to cover your country and the entire global population.


This wasted energy is also known as time and money. In a business these losses will be felt as a loss of profit and ultimately destroy the business. In a country these losses will be felt as a loss of productivity and ultimately be felt as high and then very high inflation. Globally, we can hide all this waste for decades then we will experience crashes in confidence if institutions and ultimately, the currency.


Good luck with that.



You are welcome.

No comments: