01 December, 2019

Brave New World

There is a major difference between knowing and understanding.

Knowing is a safety blanket.

Understanding is elusive and ever changing.

To begin the journey from knowing to understanding, we must shed our fear.

*********************************************************************

A personal example would be my 42 year quest to become fitter and stronger. The last six months of which have seen me change from knowing a great deal about health and fitness, to better understanding my own health and fitness.

41 years and six months of knowledge acquisition and training versus six months of listening to my body, trusting my own eyes and adapting my training to suit me.

Guess which has yielded results? (Answer:- I have had more gains in the last six months than the previous 41.5 years.)

This 'understanding' thing is far from easy.

**********************************************************************

Let us imagine a world where the safety blanket of knowledge is shed as we enter adulthood. Fear of missing out, fear of being wrong, all fears are acknowledged and accepted. We each trust ourselves, our own eyes, our own ears and our own unique and developing understanding of the world and our place within it.

This would be a Brave New World. For this world to exist, everybody or even most people are not required to embrace it. Only one person need do it, if that person is you.


************************************************************************

Let us call that my Christmas message and everyone is invited to read it regardless of beliefs.

It is a distillation of my books, blog posts and fifty years of wonderment.

You can call it whatever you wish.

Take care

David

No comments: